Monday, December 03, 2007

Mumbai - After 10 weeks

The last time I was in Mumbai I came with a lot of tenderness in my heart, floating in the air, air of romance and a dream. I was in Mumbai on Sep 13, 2007, when I wanted to make a surprise trip and also have my first hand experience of Mumbai life. I was planning to shift to Mumbai for better opportunities and also in better interest of my would-be. That time I stayed at Vara's JPM-IIMK mates apartment in Andheri (E), Chakala. A fruitful.

10 Weeks before - "Flash-back"

On Sep 15th Ganesh Chaturthi I had my Puja done at Vatsi-Manish's house at Nahar Amrit Shakti, Powai. After pooja started for Vashi via Andheri-Malad- Vashi. The Vashi station,cum IT park was unlike anything I ever saw in a railway station. As I was travelling over the bridge in the train to Vashi, I could recall the climax scene of True Lies where the Limo with Jamie lee Curtis speeds on the bridge over the sea. Vashi was unlike any place in Mumbai and is the first townships of Navi Mumbai, planned well and executed well too. Its more of an island town. The large and spacious Vashi Railway Station was built into and under the International Infotech Park, to ISO 9002 quality standards.It is one of the top 10 Info Parks in India. Constructed over Vashi railway station, seven broad white towers form the International Infotech Park(IIP),


At Vashi, reached City Centre apartments where I had my lunch then headed towards Palm beach, a mall few metres off from the apartment to spend the rest of the evening.

The Palm Beach Galleria is the newly opened 2.5 lakh sq. ft. shopping mall in Vashi, conveniently located right off the highway.The first ever Espirit ( the leading brand for fashion timewear) corner for watches and accessories in Mumbai, which is also the first in Asia has been opened here.The mall boasts of McDonalds fast food, Odyssey (a store for books, toys, CDs, DVD's), MAX Retail of the $1-billion Landmark Group(Dubai), Adlabs movie theatre and many other brands. Had good time going up and down round and round the mall. At Max we shopped for a few gifts, and followed the same at the Archies.

The next day went to Hiranandani, spent a lot of time at this beautiful, classy, colonial place which had a good mix of Residential and Commercial skyscrapers. Spent lot of time playing bowling at Galleria's, Hakone Entertainment Centre which provided facilities like LAN Gaming, Arcade Games, Pool Tables, Billiards, Bowling, Mini Golf, Bumper Cars, Go Karting and Rock Climbing. Then proceeded towards Srusti a ethnic shop, D-Mart shopping mall and Crossword the book stall. Bought something or other at each of the stores. Met Mr.Vikas Kochar at Galeria's footwear shop, who after moving out of Genpact joined as CFO AIG Financial Services in Mumbai. Then proceeded to retire in Vashi itself for the night, Next day headed to Hiranandani and then to Hyderabad by the 9pm train.

30th of Nov, 10 weeks later
Close to 10 weeks after the last visit, I again set foot in Mumbai, this time with a changed perspective. The last time around I was I came to expereince the Joy and spirit of Mumbai, this time its to understand and know the underlyings of the city. I flew in and went straight to Hiranandani, where I was at Delphi and then went to Galleria ate and shopped at D-Mart. Then bought a new cell at Mobile Store there.
as my mobile died out the moment it landed in Mumbai. So my 2 cells have gone useless in a months time. Then went by Hakone and the gokarting tracks and also recollected the previous visits and felt happy about it. And felt if God could give me one more chance to undo and relive the past.

Anyways spent the rest of the time watching people and how they moved and dressed. Then as night fell moved to Mulund after meeting a couple of friends and eating out again at KFC. For the night went to Nirmal Lifestyle mall in Mulund, went shopping at Shoppers Stop, Dollar Shop after my dinner at Urban Tadka. Then retired for the night at Friends place at Mulund.

Next day went camping in the locals, went to Kurla, nostalgic thougts of my previous visits bloomed here, then went to Chembur and had a look around, and also managed to buy some DVDs. Next stop was Dadar and then to Andheri (W) from where I went to Infinity mall in Lookhanwaala, Andheri, had my lunch at Malgudi then proceeded to shop further, before catching a bus to head towards Villa Parle towards airport. Wanted to do more, shop more but lack of company and my shoulder baggage kindaa pulled me down. I managed to buy a dozen of Pirated CD's I couldn't believe my eyes when I got Telugu DVDs at Andheri Station, well one more reason to be comfortable if I were to stay in Mumbai.

Anyways the trip was short a very nostalgic, learned and expereinced the fast paced life of Mumbaikar, the slums and choules of Mumbai, the hard life of a common man, the opportunism of the politicians, and greed of the place making people work that extra mile. People hardly have time, and probably the only time they spend with the families to enjoy is on a Sunday, rest of the time work and journey. All people work, infact the cost of living is high and to offset the living costs the large female population is also in engaged in earning bread for the family. Thats the reason for coming accross a women more often than in any other Indian city. But Mumbai life is a stuggle, lots of diversities in culture and social stature makes this place unique. People tend to be very opportunisitc and live in a struggle for survival scenario and people keep running accross for modes of earning money.

No comments:


View My Stats

web site stat