Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Whats new ? - My new stint in reading

Past few weeks, my life and my interests or rather way of passing time has got an entire new meaning. The new way of spending time is discovering Joy, Joy of reading, knowing and applying things to the life. It all started in the strangest mix of circumstances. As usual on my trips back home picked up my Business World subscription copy, and on my way to office started going through it. Unlike earlier time where I used to drive it was impossible to utilise time, but times have changed, as I started reading through the pages some bit of thoughts of previous weeks lead to me a page on Book reviews. There was an article about the book called "The Secret" The review contained more of criticism for the review, as for an average Indian is relatively more leveraged towards spirituality compared to his western counterparts. But the concept of success and euphoria round the name drew an interest in me.

But for two weeks nothing moved, except for a few spiritual articles from the knowledge tree space of Times of India. That's when I realised that I was talking more of language of wise people. I never realised that I was counselling many and was able to help them be better people, but for myself am unable to look within. I had this desire burning hotter than ever before to be better me as time progressed but fell short I was running short of avenues for the same.
This was until the next weekend when waiting to travel back home say a sign. I was bored got up from my bench where I was sitting waiting for my train to arrive and take me back home. Went to the book counter and started glancing through a few magazines as I picked up one of my regular automobile magazine something pulled me towards a red book called Secret, I opened it to read the intro and thought wow its great book to gift to people who need help. Failing to realise that I needed to read it the most. But didn't purchase as I assumed that I wouldn't be able to complete my books for the fact that my earlier books Freakonomics, and Young managers at Cross roads are still half finished for want of time.

Thought it was end of it, but while I was spending time in Hyderabad, the lazy Sunday evening went to Koti to but a few stuff like umbrella and few household items. That's where the Sunday market of books draw my attention while I was walking back to leave for home. Picked up Chetan Bhagat's new book "Three Mistakes of Life" owing to the fact that I was big critic-cum-fan of his. Thought of buying it but decided against it as my friend had it, so could borrow the same as I did for my first book of Chetan Bhagat's back at campus. Then suddenly a beamer the book "The Secret" started calling me take it, I picked it up paid 70/- for it then walked a little further picked up another book of Paulo Coelho Brida. Actually Brida happened by chance was attracted more by the girl with strapless gown with her back turned. As I read preface wanted to know more about how the lady called Brida achieves her ambition in life to find true love. Thought might assist me on my own way. Bought this for 70/- rupees rushed home and packed myself with these two hidden treasures and boarded the train back home.
Yeah after completing the The Secret and Brida, I bought my third book "The Alchemist" last Sunday and finished with that too. I wanted to read so much of this book as I liked the way Coelho approached mysticism, and kind of magic he was able to weave in Brida. And more so The Alchemist was his best seller, and I thought there got to be something in it for the distinction.

The first two books, The Secret and Brida took me two weeks to complete just reading over the journey times, it created in me a desire which laid buried for long, to know and experiment.
The first book I started reading was the secret, I started it in the train itself, read it for an hour before sleeping over to continue over the next weeks while I kept travelling to and back from office. Yeah my non-driving and time during the journey helped a lot. These helped me in way to realise my true potential and to start looking out for things and converting things to success. Lots of positive thoughts and lots of self discovery in the running. Felt a lot of emotional narrowness in thoughts and perspective on various human emotions which stands to be interpreted in my words in the self journey of discovery, realisation and experimentation, which I feel I will be blogging over a course of period. For now its a new start, a new beginning and I am confining it to it and bit of the reviews of now my favourites ongoing reads.

The Secret, was created by Australian Rhonda Byrne, and she says that if you follow its philosophy, you can create the life you want—whether that means getting out of debt, finding a more fulfilling job or even falling in love.Rhonda Byrne's discovery of The Secret began with a glimpse of the truth through a 100 year old book, "The Science of Getting Rich" a book written in 1910 by Wallace D. Wattles.which was presented by her daughter In the book Rhonda uses the quotes and commentary to establish the relevance, and strength of the secret of the universe, that if used and believed will lead to success in every field. In the book she goes back through centuries, tracing and uncovering a common truth that lay at the core of the most powerful philosophies, teachings and religions in the world. Nothing new parts and pieces of things which were so common and overlooked are very cleverly presented in this book. It neatly sews a beautiful shawl, a story which enforces what all the tradition, culture and many of our epics, spiritual Gurus of past and present speak off. It narrates a lot of positive thinking and its effectiveness. The books explains the visualisation techniques which I remember where also told in my earlier book of body building, which was needed for connecting the mind, the body and soul.
One might be surprised that by the parallel that can be drawn, in the Farah Khan 2007's flick "Om Shanti Om", where atleast 3 times in this movie he recites this dialogue - The Secret - "Agar kisi cheez ko dil se chaaho to poori Qaynath use tumse milane ki koshish main lag jaati hai" - translated "If someone wholeheartedly wishes for a something, the entire universe Conspires to get it it to you" Truly amazing scripting which sums up the whole Secret in a one liner.

Brida is story of a young Irish girl, and her quest for knowledge. She has long been interested in various aspects of magic but is searching for something more. Her search leads her to people of great wisdom, who begin to teach Brida about the spiritual world. She meets a wise man who dwells in a forest, who teaches her about overcoming her fears and trusting in the goodness of the world; and a woman who teaches her how to dance to the music of the world, and how to pray to the moon. As Brida seeks her destiny, she struggles to find a balance between her relationships and her desire to become a witch. Intelligently intertwines a tale of love, passion, mystery, and spirituality to hold my interest till the end.
Brida happens to be the 5th book of Coelho released in 1990. This was initially the best seller during its release but was taken over by the Alchemist.

"The Alchemist" is about a young traveler named Santiago meandered from his native land in search of his "Personal Legend." At different points in his journey, Santiago, encountered many places and met many people who would make a deep impression on his life. As he trekked through the Sahara desert in search of his elusive treasure, he faced many tough decisions. One of them was whether to continue his search for his treasure. At one point, he almost gave up his search, but he continued forward. After many trials and tribulations, twists and turns, success and failures, he found his treasure… in a place he least expected!
Coelho published The Alchemist in 1987 and was his 4th book, which is based on Jorge Luis Borges "Tale of Two Dreamers", which in turn was based on a tale from The Book of One Thousand and One Nights. The sales of this book where so low that it convinced his first publisher to drop the novel, but it went on to become one of the best-selling Brazilian books of all time. with more than 65 million copies worldwide and has been translated into some 56 languages.

Notable Quotes
Brida
In love lies the seed of our growth. The more we love, the closer we are to the spiritual experience.”
“There are no risks in love, as you'll find out for yourself. People have been searching for and finding each other for thousands of years.”
“Magical places are always beautiful and observe to be contemplated. Waterfalls, mountains and forests are all places where the spirits of Earth tend to play and laugh and speak to us.”
“Ever since the time began, people have recognized their true love by the light in their eyes.”
“Do not try to explain feelings. Live everything intensely and treasure what you feel as a gift from God.”

The Alchemist
“When you want something the whole Universe conspires to help you realise your desire.”
“Always follow the signs, and above all, don't forget to follow your personal legend to the end.”
“A search always starts with Beginner's luck and ends with the test of conqueror.”

“Never try to explain why you are in love...for its enough to let the other know you are in love”



3 comments:

Unknown said...

The circle of life seems to be quite small!!!! I finished reading the last lines of Brida just an hour back!!! And somehow today, I thought of you, dont kno why...after a real long long time n voila,I google ur name to find your blog!! Life and some of its mysteries!! :)

Hope u rem me!! :) :)

Anonymous said...

I am not a Coelho fan at all! I have read 3 of his books, and they were all average in my opinion!
Secret is philosophy, again an unknown zone for me, though I like the cover of the book somehow:D

Satya Swaroop P said...

@ Divya
My inclination is towards fiction with some bit of Spiritual fantasy and para-normal flavoured into the story. Coelho writings atleast what I have read were just that. Though nothing unqiue by our culture none the less fascinating book.


View My Stats

web site stat