Thursday, September 29, 2011

Tryst with Fitness










Not that I got time after turning off Travian, which was a big addiction, I got back to concentrating a bit on my own fitness levels. Though I feel am still a kid at heart and mind, it's official am now in my thirty's. Amazing but yes.
sitting in my office I was thinking and recollecting my experiments with fitness and then goals. Hugely inspired my cousin Balaji who started bulking up after an pillage incident on him. Guess for me it was early engineering so 1999-2000 was when I started borrowing a few equipment like weights to start my exercises before hitting the Gym in middle of my 1st year and 2nd year 1st and 2nd term. During this time I used to do my routines at Power Junction Gym in Ashoknagar. I was following the guide and Apprehentice schedule of Bob Paris's "Flawless: The 10-week method fpr transforming your physique" which was to a lot of discomfort of the Gym owner cum coach. When I briefly stopped and came back after my term exercises in the 2nd year, I ended up injuring myself. I had a severe tendon tear in my right shoulder (Rotator Cuff - especially infraspinatus & Supraspinatus). This injury happened on back of heavy bench pressing with low warm-ups after a long break from strength training. The implication where far severe I was immobilised for over 2 years with little to no lifting of weights (not just the regular but household stuff). The resulting injury was so severe that I had problems while breathing and even while writing my exams. Till 2003 I was away and other priorities in life took over.
It was in mid-2002 I joined Art of living classes Level 1. Had a very good enriching experience but after 6-months or so gave it up as well. In 2003-04 while I was preparing for my CAT for a few months I managed 30min early morning jog at Necklace road Naveen accompanied me then. While I was in the IIM I tried sometimes for a Jog and occasional gym or Sudershan Kriya workout but not a regime that I could sustain for long.
Back at home I had a failed attempt of trying to get back the morning Jogs in but it sooned failed after the scooter I used to drive to Necklace road was robbed. This was mid-2006.
Oct 2007 to Dec 2007 while I was on verge of getting married for a breif 3 month period I joined Reign Gym in Nallakunta. But soon dropped out after overwhelming personal pressures.
Thereafter the focus on fitness was more sporadic, after the move to Pune it was more of stepping machine than any thing else. Then Travian and the virtual world and married life took over. By and large during the post 2008 period the focus has been on eating habits inspired by the naturopathy of Manthena Satyanarayana Raju, which even today I follow in some form or other.
In 2011 while I move and relocate in the USA, its been hard struggle to find healthy yet budgetary cheap food options, I seemed to have put on weight and was falling into a pre-hyper tension band. That triggered another emotional burst in the summer of 2011 to restart and rediscover all over.
First it started with small jogs and Manthena's 1 hour yoga in the evening and add some bit of summer sports like volley ball and cricket. These routines where soon replaced by infomercial inspired Turbo Fire workouts. I have been into these for 2 months in the prep schedule. End of this week I want to decide on whats the next step...
choose between
1. Turbo Fire - 20 week workout
2. P90x - 12 week
3. Insanity - 8 week workout

I'm planning to take the fitness tests this Sunday and weigh it against the equipment and weather conditions before I go ahead.

No comments:


View My Stats

web site stat