Thursday, November 20, 2008

My Exploits in making my Marriage DVD cover

Yeah marriage's done, and got the DVD of the entire marriage ceremony, courtesy the videographer who happily editted added special video graphic editorial effects and delivered. As for a person who believes in making professional looking DVDs and for a person who prides on his DVD collection, its all but sub-standard not to have a professionally done DVD of the most important event of my life. So the process of Do-it-yourself started for me. "The DVD project" as I liked to call started out with simple search on google for ready DVD cover titles. Then searched for DVD art, DVD covers for wedding ceremony. Hardly found any. Then a few samples and research on how to design my on DVD decided to design everything from scratch.

Started with a sample wedding card, and used Photo Shop 7 for the entire design. I also used NERO Cover design and Ashampoo, soon realised that Photoshop 7 is worth a try given the options and features especially that of layers, rendering and shadows. Apart from background rendering and stuff. Though I wasn't using Photoshop for the first time my earlier usage of PS was for purpose of copy pasting photos to a larger A3 size canvas for purpose of printing and nothing more. So I did go through a few hours of help from online material and tutorials helped me ease some.

Before starting some bit of effort also went into editing, indexing the entire set of Photographs which where in different internal dates. Used PICASSA, MS Office's Picture Editor, MS Paint to edit, crop, improve and recrop the pictures. While I used EXIF Date changer to change the time of imprinted digital camera data on the photographs.
I used Nero Cover Designer, Ashampoo Cover Studio, and photo shop 7 for cover design. While Nero was used for layout actual design was done in PS. Ashampoo was useful in making a quick desgin in a rapid time. But for designing the entire cover it took me 3 weeks in all incorporating various fonts, font sizes, patterns, photographs, messages etc. Its only but getting into a very detail that the professional look would come for the dvd.

Then for compressing the DVD I used DVD2one and DVD shrink. I extensively used Nero Vision for making the slideshow and I believe it was various easy and convenient too though it had a ap of 100 snaps one could add more just by adding 2 or 3 more session sets to include all. For making DVD menus I tried DVD Lab pro, it has great features but when it came to final composition it failed so had to switch back to Nero Vision and found it quiet fast and convinent compared to DVD Lab pro.

I am still to solve the compilation/burning a DVD player compliant DVD. I found Nero burnt DVDs hardly played on most of non-divx enabled DVD-players. Tried Cheetah burner, Roxio but to no use.








Above is the final cover and CD for the marriage DVD, In all more than a month of effort over the evening and night time, lots of trial and error combined with tons of googling for patterns and relevant mp3 songs. Am proud of this cover for the effort and interest I put into. I released over a dozen of the prints which had DVD-Video and DVD-Photo 2-in-1 copies to our relatives and friends during the 2nd week of Novemeber though origianlly I intended to do it in the 1st week of October. I guess the wait made the DVD watching expereince a worth while....

No comments:


View My Stats

web site stat