Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Keys, mouse, chips, webs, viruses......CiIlitetrate

Cilliterate....or Computer Illiterate
Yes you are if you failed to connect the above words.
Computer literacy can also refer to the comfort level someone has with using computer programs and other applications and technologies that are associated with computers.
My exposure to computers started quite early in my age. I had my own PC when I was in my 6th Standard thanks to my dad who envisioned that Technology is the future. I was only 11 years when I first got to work on a computer of my own. It was year 1992 and by those days standards I had a fairly fast and efficient system. The configuration of today's mobiles are better than my first PC. It was a
Intel 80286 (In an era of 64 bits 286 has had 7 predecesors to Todays P4/Athlons)
Running at 20 Mhz Speed (yes Mega Hertz was big in those days 1024 times lesser than that of todays)
1 MB Ram (we talk of 1 GB as miminmum today thats 1024 times lesser than todays capacity)
40 MB HDD
Display - MDA (Moncrome Display Array) - 14 inch B&W L&T Monitor
Sound card - Our only sounds we heard were beeps
123 Key - TVS Keyboard
Mouse - Never needed one
OS - MS DOS 5.00
Spread Sheet- Lotus Spread sheets
Word Processor - Word Star 4
Database - Fox Pro & DBase 4+
Languages - C, BASIC
Anti Virus - MSAV
DiskDrive - 5 1/4 Floppy Drives

This was the system I had and continue to have (of course its packed) as an antique since 1992 with a bundle of 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch floppies. The software which is stored in it is specific to that system and none of todays software runs on the system. I wanted to add some bit of interactivity to the system and install Windows 3.11 which used to run as a front end for DOS, but decided against it as it was too resource hungry for my system.The system then costed my dad a little over 30K rupees without monitor and printer (dot matrix).
All my initial days I learned and played on this system. I was envied by adults and kids alike. I was able to speak a language which many where not even aware off. My first computer was operational to the fullest till 1999. After 7 years it was replaced, I moved to adapt a non intel processor.
I got an AMD K6 in later 1999 (Pic - my cousin - with L&T Dotmatrix printer and K6 on Viewsonic). The system had 128MB RAM, with Windows 98 and 20 GB HDD and 400 Mhz (20 times faster than my older 286)with a 15" Viewsonic Monitor. I used this system during my engineering till 2004. This is system which provided me my first multimedia expereince and internet expereince. Those were the early days of internet and it was costly to have an internet connection. I remeber using various dial-up connection and due to my high internet usage at times our telephone bills used to run up quite high. My primary dial-up those days were Dish-net connection and occassional a Tata Nova. I used to borrow accounts to meet my craze those days. During my early days of internet I was hugely into intenet contests. Quite popular and an addict I was for Contests2win, Hungama.com and occasional MTV contests. I at one stage used to get gifts and memorobila on an weekly basis from these sites (mostly Hungama). Loved collecting points for playing contests and redeeming the same for some cheeky gifts. Approximate count of gifts I collected run in excess of 200 items.
Next I got an AMD Athlon 1800. It was a 1.6 Ghz processor with 384 MB RAM. I got it assembled at Parklane, Secunderabad before carrying it all the way to IIM-K. Incidently I ran Windows 95 on this system.This system I used for 2 years while I was in Kozhikode between 2004 and 2006, and later dumped it at K before returning back to Hyderabad in March 2006. Post which I continue to use my bro's AMD Athlon and my bro's Dell Inspiron laptop which he got it from US.
While in Genpact I was using the companies provided Dell Latitude D510 model. I felt this was the most robust and sturdiest of all Desktops and Laptops I ever got to use.
Moving from Hardware to Software I started with BASIC based programming and games like Prince of Persia, Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego, Genghis Khan
From Banner Mania, Wolf Pack,Para Trooper, Packman, Test Drive to name a few. As years went by and technology improved I got newer games. I still remeber I used to steal a few bucks from my dad's change and save enough to buy one single game from a small computer shop (PARAS Computers) on the road connecting Mozamjahi Market and Koti. Each floppy game costed 20/- then. Much for privacy of today :).
Initial utilitis like Banner Mania and Paint pro were fun to work and impress the guests who came in. I also remeber we used some Basic based application to generate Astrology charts. It was so much fun those old days, for uniqueness is definetly something to cherish.
Today as I blog this I am amazed at the journey I made from 1992 to 2009. 17 Years is time taken, I have moved from a 80286 to a P4 mobile processor, from floppies to SD Micros, from PC Games to Playstation, from B&W monitors to 32" LCD's from beep speakers to 5.1 DTS Home theatre from a small selffocus cam to a Compact DigiCam . From Bannermania to Photoshop; from DOS to Windows Mobile; from PacMan to NFS; from text to HDDVD authoring, I feel I have come offage in technology. It's not that I thrive on getting the latest Gizmos, but addition happens automatically; If that technological tranformation is not happening am afraid to say that one is Technophobic and Cilliterate.
Yes there might be circles who differ on amount of adaption technology in daily life, lets not debate it today. Technology is part of parcel of modern day's life.

1 comment:

Satya Swaroop P said...

Thanks Alanna for your encouraging words. I enjoy writing a lot and with readers like you its only got to add to the interest of writing.


View My Stats

web site stat